Thursday, January 21, 2016

Howe vs. Dubrow

Adam Howe, author of Black Cat Mojo and Die Dog or Eat the Hatchet consented to let me interview him at The Slaughtered Bird.  We discussed many things, including horror fiction, action movies, and the American south.

I wish I could say it went well.

"You’ve already described how you won Stephen King’s On Writing contest some time ago; what do you think the horror genre would look like today if the King of Horror hadn’t taken up the craft?

These things are cyclical. Not to devalue King’s work – talent like his will always out – but no doubt another writer would have filled the void left by King’s major influences: Matheson, Bradbury, Bloch. And today we’d probably still be enduring shitty rip-offs of that guy’s work! A more interesting question – I’ll just pose my own Q’s, thanks – is to wonder how King would fare as an emerging writer in today’s market. A slim book like Carrie would be considered a novella."

Click to read the rest.

I mean...wow.  Just...wow.

No comments: